In the last post I talked about how some of the pictures I’ve taken over recent weeks have not really addressed the requirements of the exercises. They have none the less followed the topics being studied and I have been quite pleased with some of the results. The four images on the left were all taken at the end of October between 7 o’clock and 8 o’clock in the morning.
It was a bright sunny morning and the mist was lying in the field and this was what interested me. I used a tripod because I needed a fairly long exposure although this meant that the cows in some of the pictures were blurred. The white balance was set to cloudy as I wanted a warm effect.
In the third picture the sun was still on my left side but behind some trees. I was much lower in the field and the mist was lying in a thick band just above the ground. By now it was about 7.45 and the light had changed completely I was quite surprised at the difference in the results.
The last image was taken with the sun behind me and to my right. White balance was still set to cloudy so that I had the warm effect, particularly on the trees.
As well as noticing the different outcomes produced by different positions and even very little changes in the time of day, some fairly basic practical lessons were learnt from this activity. For instance I went out with wellingtons on but hadn’t reckoned on how slippery the grass would be; I’d have been better with walking boots. On one occasion I got down really low to take some pictures and didn’t notice that I had some drops of dew on my lens until half a dozen pictures later by which time the light had changed again. So, I need to think about appropriate clothing as well as footwear, and keep checking that the lens is clean.