When it comes to selecting images for my assignments I create a long list of pictures that I feel meet the criteria and then systematically whittle them down to the final few. This post includes some of the pictures that didn’t make it and the reasons for my decisions.
Having dismantled an orchid stem for my still life I didn’t want to throw the blooms away, so put them into a bowl of water. This made quite a nice circular pattern and I called it ‘Orchid Trifle’. I felt it was very static though and decided not to use it for that reason.
I liked the effect of the squirrel grass, blowing in the wind and took several pictures of this depicting the grass still and moving and thought about using this as ‘rhythm’.
In the end I decided that although I liked the effect of the grass, there wasn’t really a picture there so abandoned that idea.
When I took this picture of red flowers, I was thinking vertical and horizontal lines but once I processed it I felt that it needed something more, maybe a wider view with taller plants behind and shorter ones in front to give the sense of bands of colour.
I spent quite some time experimenting with two gerbera flowers and was quite pleased with this one with the
water droplets hanging off the end of the petals. I felt that the lighting was a little harsh though and wasn’t sure what element it fitted best other than triangles. As I felt I had better ‘triangle’ pictures, I abandoned it. A few months ago, my photo magazine ran a feature on creating flower bursts by zooming out whilst the shutter is open and the best of my attempt at this is included in my assignment.
They also showed you how to achieve this effect ‘the cheats way’ using the blur filters in Photoshop Elements. Whilst I liked the effect it gave, I felt that the manual one better represented the ‘rhythm’ I was looking for and so included that one in my assignment.