It is now about three weeks since I started the course and although I have been keeping a log from the beginning, it is all in a lever arch file. What I plan to do over the next few posts is summarise the story so far so that I more or less have the whole journey in one place and then I can record my thoughts as I go.
My materials for TAOP arrived on Friday 18th March and my first thoughts were that this very slim folder didn’t look like 12 months worth of work. How wrong could I be, three weeks later I am just about to start the 1st assignment and I recon that will take me another two to three weeks; my tutor Pete has suggested 29th April as my submission date and I don’t think that will be too far out. Initially I felt that the first couple of units repeated what we had done on T189 and it does to an extent but in much more depth. There was a fair bit of technical stuff in T189 and my early impression is that this course focuses more on the creative side. Prior to undertaking T189, my camera was pretty much set to ‘auto’ mode. I am now using aperture and shutter priority settings much more, I have even experimented once or twice with manual mode.
I have owned an SLR for about 25 years now and a DSLR for the last seven or eight years, so I’m used to using different focal lengths. I also decide whether I think the picture lends itself more to a landscape or portrait format. But these are just judgements I make, then I take the picture. What I have learnt from the activities in the first unit is to be more open-minded and try alternative options.